The EPS production poses no threat to the ozone layer. Pentane, the blowing agent used in EPS, contains no ozone-depleting substances and the amount released during manufacture is only about 0.2%of the total man-made emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOC's). It is actually a naturally occurring chemical like methane. It is also continually being formed by natural processes; for example in the digestive tracts of animals and by the anaerobic decomposition of plant matter.
Polystyrene also has a low stability and under the influence of humidity and atmospheric radiation (especially UV light) it is quickly converted into carbon dioxide and water. Because of its low stability, pentane cannot reach the higher (stratospheric) atmospheric levels and therefore does not contribute to ozone depletion (unlike chlorinated blowing agents such as CFC's and HCFC's). Additionally pentane does not contribute directly to the "greenhouse" effect.
At Expanded Polystyrene Supplies we believe that the only way forward is to go green. Below are just some of the changes we have made to do our bit on saving the planet.
- The majority of our polystyrene waste is compacted and then recycled to manufacture garden furniture, the remainder is made into polystyrene chippings and used for packing.
- We have a bailing machine which we use to compact all of our used plastic bags and wrapping, this is then taken for recycling.
- When not in use our lighting and machinery is switched off.
- Using local suppliers for our cardboard and manufacturing materials reduces transportation and our overall carbon footprint.
- We are also looking in to supplying a polystyrene recycling point for local households and businesses.
- When delivering goods we try to deliver to more than one customer along the same route, this saves taking a half empty lorry on the road and also helps reduce the delivery cost for our customers.
Link to this page
If you own a website and you feel your users would benefit from knowing that Polystyrene is safe for the environment, then please click the button below to copy the link to this page.